Tuesday, January 29, 2013
The leading cause of preventable death is often entangled in a financial web of neglect and deceit, according to the American Lung Association
Tuesday, January 29
The following press release was issued by the American Lung Association: Follow the trail of money misused by policymakers and strategically invested by Big Tobacco in the American Lung Association's "State of Tobacco Control 2013" report released recently to discover how the leading cause of preventable death is often entangled in a financial web of neglect and deceit. Read more: The Lung Association's "State of Tobacco Control" report tracks annual progress on key tobacco control policies at the federal and state level, assigning grades based on whether laws are adequately protecting citizens from the enormous toll tobacco use takes on lives and the economy. "We are faced with a deep-pocketed, ever-evolving tobacco industry that's …
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
The American Lung Association report gives Pennsylvania two failing grades.
The American Lung Association says Pennsylvania is not adequately funding programs to protect children and cut back on illnesses related to tobacco use. This comes as a result the recent release of the State of Tobacco Control 2013 report. This is the 11th year for the report which looks at how states and the federal government are spending their money on tobacco control programs. Related story: "Ex-Smoker: I'd Have Walked 5 Miles for a Camel" Pennsylvania received the following grades for 2012. "Pennsylvania must make it a priority to invest in programs that keep kids off tobacco and to help smokers quit,” says Deb Brown, president and CEO of the American Lung Association of the Mid-Atlantic, in a press release. “That starts with …
Friday, February 10, 2012
An early morning fire at 628 Wyandotte St. in Bethlehem started by discarded smoking materials sent a resident and a firefighter to St. Luke's Hospital for treatment.
A fire that started from discarded smoking materials in a plastic trash can at a Bethlehem home sent two people to the hospital for smoke inhalation. About 2 a.m. today (Friday), the fire broke out in a bedroom at 628 Wyandotte Street, City Fire Commissioner George Barkanic said. A resident, David Schwartz, tried to put it out and was overcome by smoke. He was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital in Bethlehem for treatment. Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze but a firefighter also suffered smoke inhalation and was treated and released at St. Luke’s, Barkanic said. Fire damage to the house was estimated at $2,500. The American Red Cross of the Greater Lehigh Valley provided temporary shelter for the residents. Barkanic said the house …