Van's gas tank explodes causing severe burns to man working on it
A man severely burned has died despite a heroic attempt by a neighbor to save him, according to multiple reports. Kenneth Mitchell, 47, of Allentown, died at Lehigh Valley Hospital on Wednesday about 12 hours after the gas tank in a van he was working on exploded at a garage at 4011 Wilson Avenue in Bethlehem Township. Neighbor Richard Korn saw the man in flames and ran to help. He took off his coat and put it on Mitchell to smother the fire, according to a WFMZ report. Mitchell suffered burns over 70 percent of his body in the fire that broke out around 6:30 a.m. Firefighters from Bethlehem Township, Nancy Run, Freemansburg, Palmer Township and Steel City responded to the scene.