The Weather: Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of thunderstorms and a high temperature of 88 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. Chance of thunderstorms increases to 70 percent after 7 p.m., with a chance of heavy downpours, gusty winds and lightning and a low of 70 degrees.
The Headliner: MGMT, a still-rising, neo-psychedelic progressive rock band that formed at Wesleyan University in Connecticut in 2005. It has released two albums – Oracular Spectacular and Congratulations. The band is currently working on a third self-titled album and can be expected to play some songs from it at tonight’s show, which starts at 7:30 p.m. at the Sands Steel Stage at PNC Plaza. Tickets at $45 and $35 are still available. Gates open at 6 p.m.
The Highlight: The Summer of Love will be celebrated at Plaza Tropical all day, with all of the bands playing the music of Woodstock. The Large Flowerheads play covers of 1960s tunes starting at 2 p.m. Marrakesh Express plays the music of Crosby, Stills and Nash at 4 p.m. and the night culminates with a tribute to the late, great Janis Joplin by CC Coletti, starting at 9:30 p.m.
Get You Some Church: You have a choice of four worship services to attend at Musikfest, all starting at 10 a.m.: a Christian Celebration Service will be held at Americaplatz; a Christian Worship Service will be held at Festplatz; a Trilingual Catholic Mass will be held at Plaza Tropical, and a Contemporary Worship Service will be held at Banana Island. Or you can worship with Buddha and the monks of the . They host a meditation session at Handwerkplatz at 11:30 a.m. and perform The Mystical Arts of Tibet at Volksplatz at 1:30 p.m.
For the Little Ones: Monster Madness is the theme at the Peeps & Company Craft Tent at Banana Island. Mom & Dad, bring the kids and Lehigh Valley Crime Stoppers will provide KID P.I.C.S. photo identification cards for children. The cards contain a photo, thumbprint and vital information that the police will need should he or she ever go lost or missing.
The Best of the Free Platzes: The Lehigh Valley Folk Music Society brings its roster of local musicians to Liederplatz at noon. Bethlehem’s own Dina Hall & The Backbeat, an FOP (Friend of Patch), is an award-winning songwriter who blends folk, rock and soul. She plays at Liederplatz at 6:30 p.m. If you feel like dancing, go to Festplatz at 8 p.m. for the crowd-pleasing Philadelphia Funk Authority, which plays the best of funk, R&B, soul and dance music from the last 40 years.