A 20-year-old Bethlehem man whom Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli has called a serial rapist was charged Wednesday with committing two more sexual assaults on teenage girls.
There may be additional victims. Anyone who thinks they were victimized by should call Bethlehem Police Detective Moses Miller at 610-997-7674 or the DA's office at 610-559-3020.
David Martinez of 419 Maple St. had two new rape charges and associated counts added to his record in two separate arraignments in Bethlehem.
Police said both of the victims were 17 and pregnant at the time of the alleged attacks – December 2011 and June 19, 2012. Earlier this month, Martinez was charged with raping two other teenagers – one 14, the other 17.
In a news conference on Feb. 6, Morganelli said police interviews with Martinez suggested that he had met with and assaulted other girls and the DA asked them to step forward.
Court papers filed by Bethlehem Police Det. Moses Miller indicated that two girls called him the next day to report that they had also been raped by Martinez. In both cases, the affidavits say, the victims were invited through a Facebook message to meet.
In the more recent case, the affidavit says, Martinez visited a girl – who was four-months pregnant – at her home and went for a walk in the neighborhood. The victim told police that she knew Martinez to see him, but had never been with him alone.
The affidavit goes on to say:
- During the walk, Martinez and his victim talked about her pregnancy. Several times he told her she was “beautiful.”
- They returned to Martinez’s car and they drove to the McDonald’s in South Bethlehem and then to Lookout Drive, near Mountain Drive, at Lehigh University.
- While parked on Lookout Drive, Martinez attempted to kiss the girl, but she pushed him away. Martinez then grabbed her by the back of the head and forced his tongue into her mouth. Then he climbed on top of her, pinned her down and raped her. After he was finished, Martinez drove her home.
- Later that night, Martinez sent her a text message, which she saved and showed to police: “I am sorry again please forgive me. I don’t want you to hate me. Can you please keep this between us because that was really definitely not me. I am sorry.”
For that alleged incident, Martinez was charged with rape, sexual assault, aggravated indecent assault and indecent assault. He was arraigned before District Judge Nancy Matos-Gonzalez, who added $500,000 to his bail.
In the alleged 2011 assault, the victim described two separate encounters with Martinez. The first came in April after an invitation from Martinez through Facebook. He told her she was “pretty.”
Then, according to the affidavit:
- They met at the South Bethlehem McDonald’s and Martinez drove them back to his home. They were sitting in his car parked around the corner when he climbed on top of her and pinned her down.
- Martinez then began squeezing his victim’s face and trying to kiss her. She screamed and told Martinez she wanted to be friends. He climbed off of her and she got out of the car and left.
- The girl did not hear from Martinez again until December. The victim was seven-months pregnant and had posted pictures of herself on Facebook. Martinez wrote to her that he missed her. The victim agreed to meet Martinez at his house.
- They were in the bedroom, watching a movie and talking about her pregnancy. Martinez asked to rub her belly. Then he climbed on top of her, tried to kiss her and grabbed her breasts.
- The victim yelled: “What are you doing I am pregnant!” She stood up and yelled. Martinez turned her around, pushed her face down on the bed and put all his weight on her.
- For 15 minutes, the victim told police, she pushed off the bed with one hand to try to protect the baby, and with the other hand held onto her pants, which Martinez was trying to pull down.
- Martinez finally gave up and climbed off of the victim. He later sent a text message to the victim: “Never contact me again.”
For that alleged incident, Martinez was charged with criminal attempt to commit rape, a first-degree felony, and indecent assault. He was arraigned before District Judge Roy Manwaring, who added $25,000 to his bail.