.

Nurse Injured Rescuing Dog from Burning House

Firefighter also hurt in blaze that damaged 2 homes and left 3 people homeless.

An unattended candle was the cause of a fire that left three people homeless, left a good Samaritan and a firefighter hurt and created a traffic mess in South Bethlehem, according to published reports.

The fire broke out at 811 Vernon St. after 3 p.m., while mother and son were out for lunch celebrating her 81st birthday, according to wfmz.com. They had lived at the house for 50 years.

A nurse, Neici Talverna, who broke into the burning house to check for occupants then rescued the family dog, was injured by broken glass, according to The Express Times. A firefighter suffered a neck injury battling the blaze, the newspaper reported.

Emergency crews were forced to shut Wyandotte Street, Route 378, while dealing with the fire. Vernon Street is an alley that is attached to and runs just east of Wyandotte Street.

The fire gutted the second floor and attic of 811 Vernon and spread to 813 Vernon, where an attic was also gutted, according to The Morning Call.

The Red Cross responded to the scene, providing food, clothes and lodging to the mother and son and food and lodging to the single resident of 813 Vernon St.

The Red Cross also provided canteen services to emergency responders who fought extreme cold in addition to the fire.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »