Music, games, giveaways, schnitzel, sausage, wiener dogs and lots and lots of beer will be on tap for the second Oktoberfest at SteelStacks, which opens at 5 p.m. today.
Highlighting the opening night activities is an authentic Oktoberfest Keg Tap at 8 p.m. featuring D.G. Yuengling & Son President Dick Yuengling. Join Yuengling, along with ArtsQuest President Jeff Parks, as they officially kick off the festival by using a mallet to tap a keg of Yuengling beer and make a ceremonial toast with the crowd.
It is at this time that the festival will be unveiling its very own Oktoberfest song, a tradition that has now been carried over from Germany’s legendary Oktoberfest.
Other highlights of Oktoberfest’s opening weekend include:
- The first-ever Oktoberfest Skills Challenge, noon-5 p.m. Saturday - featuring 10 area taverns competing in four fun-filled events including Brat Flip Cup and the 40,000-pound Yuengling Truck Pull.
- Crowning of the first-ever Miss Oktoberfest - 4:30 p.m., Saturday -- Vote for your favorite Bethlehem barmaid on the ArtsQuest Oktoberfest page before the end of the day today for a chance to win a pair of free tickets to the festival.
- Stein races and barrel rolling competitions
- The Debut of Kastner’s Oktoberfest Players – colorful characters dressed in lederhosen and dirndls, leading all the fun and games at Oktoberfest.
- Live music on three stages
- Free giveaways to the first 500 people in the gates each day:
Oct. 5 – Yuengling Koozie – first 500 patrons 21 years of age & older
Oct. 6 – Service Electric Dirndl T-shirts – first 500 women 18 years & older
Oct. 7 – PNC Bank Tote Bags – first 500 patrons 18 years & older
Oktoberfest hours are 5 p.m.-midnight Friday, noon-midnight Saturday and noon-9 p.m. Sunday.
You can purchase tickets at the gate for $10 or $8 for ArtsQuest members. Weekend passes for all three days are $20 or $15 for ArtsQuest members.
For more information, visit www.artsquest.org/oktoberfest.