For those of you who have 'fested all week, want to regain your hearing or have just had enough with meandering crowds, there are a number of festive things to do outside the radius of Musikfest.
If you are looking for something special to do with the family as the summer winds down, either a trip to the Rail Museum or the Crayola Factory would be a real treat. Riding on the back on the successful release of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2," the Railroad Museum in Strasburg is hosting a Hogwart’s Express Party, where children will delight in a bewitched adventure. SpongeBob will surface at the Crayola Factory in Easton for his birthday celebration.
The IronPigs are in town this weekend playing the Toledo Mud Hens. Check out the game to see if the 'Pigs can add three to their win column.
For theater goers looking for some comic relief, this weekend will be your last chance to see The Wedding Singer at the Pennsylvania Playhouse. Finally, if you can’t get enough melody but you're looking for a more intimate setting than Musikfest, the final Second Sunday concert of the summer in Hellertown's , featuring Chico's Vibe, will be perfect.
So, pack away your fest mugs until next year and venture beyond the fest grounds.
THE ANTI-FEST WEEKEND PICKS
HOGWART’S EXPRESS PARTY (RAILROAD MUSEUM)
- WHERE/WHEN: Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, 300 Gap Road, Ronks, Pa., Friday & Saturday, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- WHY GO: Your family loved the movie, now experience the adventure of mixing potion, nibbling snacks at Diagon Alley and seeing where the sorting hat will place. Kids may attend the Party dressed as their favorite Harry Potter character. Go across the street from the museum and ride an actual train through Lancaster County.
- COST: Tickets, $10/child in addition to museum admission, Adult (ages 12 – 64) $10, Senior Citizen (65+) $9, Youth (3 – 11) $8, Toddler (2 and under) FREE. Registration is required. A combination pass for the Museum and Train Adult (12+) $21, Child (3 - 11) $12.50 and Toddler (2 and under) FREE.
UNDER THE SEA WITH SPONGEBOB (BIRTHDAY PARTY)
- WHEN: The Crayola Factory, 30 Centre Square, Easton, Saturday, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m & Sunday, 9 a.m. – 10 a.m. (Factory Hours, 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- WHY GO: What kid doesn’t love SpongeBob SquarePants? On Saturday, kids will celebrate SpongeBob’s birthday not only with cake and ice cream but also with under-the-sea activities. On Sunday, kids can actually have breakfast and make crafts with SpongeBob.
- COST: Adults and Children (ages 3 – 64) $9.75, 2 and under free. Sunday Breakfast, $20 per person. Call 610-515–8000 for details.
LEHIGH VALLEY IRONPIGS vs TOLEDO MUD HENS (MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL)
- WHERE/WHEN: Coca-Cola Park, 1050 Iron Pigs Way, Allentown, Friday, 7:05 p.m., Saturday, 6:35 p.m., Sunday, 5:35 p.m.
- WHY GO: Watch the 'Pigs bring home the bacon against the Toledo Mud Hens. Fireworks round out the evening’s fun on Friday and Saturday. Bring your foam fingers and your pig snouts to support the hometown team.
- COST: General admission $6, Field Level $9.
THE WEDDING SINGER (PENNSYLVANIA PLAYHOUSE)
- WHERE/WHEN: Pennsylvania Playhouse, 390 Illicks Mill Road, Bethlehem, Friday & Saturday, 8:00 p.m.
- WHY GO: This is your last chance to see this hilarious stage production of The Wedding Singer. Expect laughs and a tinge of romance. This musical is worth a trip down the aisle...of the Pennsylvania Playhouse, that is.
- COST: Tickets: Adults $22, Students $19 (under 18 or student with proper ID) and Seniors $19 (65 and over). Call 610-865-6665 for ticket information.
CHICO’S VIBE ()
- WHERE/WHEN: Dimmick Park, Tobias Drive and Durham Street, Hellertown, Sunday, 5:30 – 9:00 p.m.
- WHY GO: Feel the vibe in Hellertown's beautiful ! Voted best live band by the Main Line Times, Chico's Vibe is a nine-piece band from Philadelphia whose performance you won’t want to miss. The group's swinging horn section will have you moving and grooving to covers of songs that span decades and all genres of music. Food and refreshments will be available thanks to the Hellertown Lions Club.
- COST: Free. Bring a folding chair or blanket for seating.