Bethlehem Police, Bethlehem Township Police and State Police at Bethlehem, in addition to other departments and organizations, will participate in a National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 29.
On this day, in the Bethlehem area, you can safely dispose of unwanted or unused prescription drugs by taking them to the Westgate Mall, Young's Pharmacy, Wegman's, Pennsylvania State Police at Bethlehem or the Fountain Hill Police Department.
Police officers will accept controlled, non-controlled and over-the-counter medications.
Before handing over unwanted prescriptions, remove any personal information from bottles or packages that contain medications. Liquid products and creams in containers will be accepted.
Sharpies and syringes will not be accepted because of the potential hazard posed by blood-borne pathogens. Illegal substances, such as marijuana and methamphetamine, are not part of the program and should not be placed in the collection boxes.
Keeping expired or unused medicine can be dangerous.
“People can mistake one medication for another, especially if the names of the medications are close,” said Vicky Kistler, director of the Allentown Health Bureau. Having excess medications stored in homes “also can provide the opportunity for curious youths to experiment with dangerous drugs with serious consequences,” she added.
On April 28, Americans turned in a record-breaking 552,161 pounds -- or 276 tons -- of prescription drugs at the 5,659 take-back sites operated by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), according to a press release.
When the results of the four Take-Back Days to date are combined, the DEA and its state, local and tribal law enforcement and community partners have removed over 1.5 million pounds -- or 774 tons -- of medication from circulation.
Here is a complete list of Drug Take-Back Day locations in Northampton County:
- Giant Food Stores - 859 Nazareth Pike, Nazareth
- Bath Drug, 310 S. Walnut Street, Bath
- Giant Food Stores - 3926 Nazareth Pike, Bethlehem
- Young's Pharmacy - 3708 Freemansburg Avenue, Bethlehem
- Wegmans - 5000 Wegman's Drive, Bethlehem
- Pennsylvania State Police, 2930 Airport Rd., Bethlehem
- Westgate Mall - 2285 Schoenersville Road, Bethlehem
- Fountain Hill Police Department - 941 Long St., Bethlehem
- Lower Saucon Township Police Department - 3700 Old Philadelphia Pike, Bethlehem