Hurricane Sandy won't hit the Lehigh Valley until Monday or Tuesday so there's time to make some important preparations as advised by the Red Cross and emergency management experts:
- Have 3 days worth of food (including non-perishable food and a can opener) and other supplies in your home including important medications plus supplies for your pets.
- Know how to reach family members in case of an emergency.
- Have some extra cash on hand.
- Have a plan for what you'll do in case of a prolonged power outage.
- Assemble a storm kit that should include: Bottled water (one gallon per person per day); blankets/bedding and toiletries; baby formula, diapers, bottles and wet wipes, if needed; first-aid kit; flashlight with fresh batteries; battery-operated radio; hand sanitizer; paper plates and plastic utensils; manufacturer’s instructions for power-operated garage doors.
Visit www.health.state.pa.us and get a copy of Pennsylvania’s Emergency Preparedness Guide.