Get Out: Free and Low-Cost Events for the Family
Free concerts, RiverJazz, Art Walk, Shakespeare, plus visits from Barney and Pat Benatar.
Who could resist all the fun, free and low-cost family-friendly events this weekend?
ArtsQuest hosts the RiverJazz Festival with free music outside on the SteelStacks campus. Of course, if you want to see the headliners inside at the Musikfest Café, you’ll have to pay the price of admission and get a few drinks.
If you are looking for something totally free on Friday night that you can take the kids to, look no further than the Sculpture Garden in Bethlehem where the The Great Bear Trio will be singing and dancing the night away.
Jordon White will be performing in another free outdoor concert at the Town Square at the Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley.
Saturday evening, take a walk down Main and Broad Streets in Bethlehem for an interactive community art experience at Art Walk Bethlehem.
While not everything is totally free, there are also some moderately priced events that you will want to check out. For the sports enthusiasts, the IronPigs are in town all weekend playing the Charlotte Knights and the FC Sonic Premier Soccer League will be tearing up the turf against FC Buffalo on Friday and the Erie Admirals on Sunday.
Whether you are in the mood for a comedy or a musical, the PA Shakespeare Festivals at DeSales Campus in Center Valley are performing both “The Comedy of Errors” and “South Pacific."
Finally, Pat Benatar is in Bethlehem signing books and singing her heart out. Who doesn’t remember “Hit Me with Your Best Shot” or “Love is a Battlefield?” She will be belting out her old tunes and new tunes with her husband and guitarist Neil Giraldo at the Sands.
THIS WEEKS PICKS
RIVERJAZZ FESTIVAL (ARTSQUEST)
- WHERE/WHEN: SteelStacks, 101 Founders Way, Bethlehem, Thursday - Sunday.
- WHY GO: Local and regional jazz artist performing FREE outside at the Air Products Town Square and PNC Plaza. Indoor venues will feature The Preservation Hall Jazz Band, The Clayton Brothers and Spyro Gyra, but, you will have to purchase a ticket for these headlining performances.
- COST: Free to the public. Shows at Musikfest Café are individually priced, see website for more details and ticket information, $10 minimum food and beverage.
THE GREAT BEAR TRIO (FRIDAY EVENINGS IN THE SCULPTURE GARDEN)
- WHERE/WHEN: Sculpture Garden, East side of City Hall 10 E. Church St, Bethlehem Friday, 6 – 8 p.m.
- WHY GO: Get ready to kick up your heals at this high-energy evening of folk music and contra dancing. This is a family event and the price is right for a fun Friday in the garden.
- COST: Free, Sponsored by the Bethlehem Fine Arts Commission, co-sponsored by the Greater Lehigh Contra-Dance Society.
JORDON WHITE, QNB SUMMER CONCERT SERIES (THE PROMENADE SHOPS)
- WHERE/WHEN: 2845 Center Valley Parkway, Town Square at the Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley, Friday, 7 p.m.
- WHY GO: American Idol turned him away but, America never got a chance to vote Jordon White to the final round. This talented singer and songwriter will rock the Town Square with his alternative, acoustic rock. Take advantage of the concert night specials at local restaurants starting at 5 p.m.
- COST: Free.
CHARLOTTE KNIGHTS VS. LEHIGH VALLEY IRON PIGS (MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL)
- WHERE/WHEN: Coca Cola Park, 1050 Iron Pigs Way, Allentown, Friday, 7:05 p.m. Saturday, 6:35 p.m. Sunday 1:35 p.m.
- WHY GO: Come out and cheer the hometown team out of their recent slump. Still in a winning season, the Pigs are going to try to rally against the Charlotte Knights. Don’t forget, Friday & Saturday night fireworks are a blast!
- PRICING: General admission $6, Field Level $9.
FC SONIC LEHIGH VALLEY (Premier Soccer League)
- WHERE/WHEN: Lehigh University, Ulirich Sports Complex at Goodman Campus, Bethlehem, Friday, 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, 4:00 p.m.
- WHY GO: Sure you’ve seen your kids play soccer but, have you seen the National Premier Soccer League play soccer? Score big with the family and see what premier soccer is all about. Friday, the FC Sonic take on FC Buffalo and Sunday, they square off with the Erie Admirals.
- COST: Adult Ticket $5, child $3, pay at the event.
LEHIGH VALLEY STORY FESTIVAL (LEHIGH VALLEY STORY TELLERS GUILD)
- WHERE/WHEN: Godfrey Daniels, 7 East Fourth St., South Bethlehem, Friday & Saturday, 7:30 p.m..
- WHY GO: Do you remember telling stories on a hot summer night? Reminiscent of the days when people sat around and entertained each other with a good yarn and some singing, the Lehigh Valley Story Festival hosts storytelling on Friday and Old Time Music on Saturday to help raise funds for the guild.
- COST: Admission, $10, reservations necessary, sponsored by Story Fusion and the Maiden Creek Old Time Music Festival.
THE COMEDY OF ERRORS (PA SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL)
- WHERE/WHEN: DeSales Campus, 2755 Station Ave., Center Valley, Friday & Saturday, 8 p.m., Saturday & Sunday, 2 p.m. and Sunday at 7:30 p.m.
- WHY GO: The hilarious plot riddled with mistaken identity, chaos and other comedic complications, this play is sure to entertain mom and dad for a night out.
- COST: Tickets, Adults: $45 - $50, Seniors: $42 - $47. Check seating and availability.
SOUTH PACIFIC (PA SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL)
- WHERE/WHEN: DeSales Campus, 2755 Station Ave., Center Valley, Friday, 8 p.m., Saturday, 2 p.m. & 8 p.m. and Sunday, 2 p.m. & 7:30 p.m.
- WHY GO: An enchanting love story that is set on an island plantation during WWII, this Rodgers and Hammerstein musical promises a family friendly theatre experience.
- COST: Tickets, Adults: $45 - $53, Seniors: $42 - $50. Check seating and availability.
BARNEY LIVE IN CONCERT (BIRTHDAY BASH)
- WHERE/WHEN: Stabler Arena, 124 Goodman Drive, Bethlehem, Saturday, 10:30 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- WHY GO: Everyone’s favorite dinosaur is bringing down the house with singing, dancing and imagination. “With a great big hug, and a kiss from me to you, won't you say you love Barney too?"
- COST: Ticket, $15 - $35/ ticket and $55 for VIP Dino seating.
STACEY EARLE AND MARK STUART (LISTEN LIVE MUSIC)
- WHERE/WHEN: Upper Milford Township Center, 5671 Chestnut St., Zionsville, Saturday, 8 p.m.
- WHY GO: For authentic country with all the twang, Stacy Earle accompanied by husband Mark Stewart have a unguarded, bittersweet and emotional sound reminiscent of traditional country.
- COST: Ticket, $20, includes processing fee.
ART WALK BETHLEHEM (DOWNTOWN BETHLEHEM ASSOCIATION)
- WHERE/WHEN: Main & Broad Streets, Bethlehem, Saturday, 4– 9 p.m.
- WHY GO: Local artists and musicians will be lining the streets showcasing their talent. This is a child friendly event, featuring a kid’s corner at the Main St. Commons where the wee ones can be occupied with finger painting, a coloring contest, sidewalk chalk and face painting while mom and dad enjoy the sights and the sounds.
- COST: FREE! sponsored by the Downtown Bethlehem Association.
PAT BENATAR AT BOOKSIGNING EVENT (BARNES & NOBLE)
- WHERE/WHEN: Bethlehem Southmont Center, 4445 Southmont Way, Bethlehem Township, Sunday, noon – 2 p.m., bracelets distributed at 10 a.m.
- WHY GO: You can get an up close to the legendary female rocker while she signs her book, “Between a Heart and a Rock Place.” Buy your book before you get in line and get in line early. Don’t bring any memorabilia because the only thing she will be signing is one book per customer.
- COST: Books available at Barnes & Noble, list price, $14.99, or online, $13.66, including shipping.
PAT BENATAR AND NEIL GIRALDO (MUSIK @ THE SANDS)
- WHERE/WHEN: Sands Casino and Resort, 77 Sands Blvd, Bethlehem, Sunday, 7:30 p.m.
- WHY GO: After you get your book signed at the Barnes & Noble, meet with the 4 time Grammy winning artist, you are going to want to rock out the weekend with Pat Benatar belting out her hits.
- COST: Tickets: $44 and $59. Proceeds benefit the Festival Center at SteelStacks.