Bach Choir to Hold A Cappella Singing Contest
Bach Choir is looking for one high school and one college a cappella singing group to open for The Swingle Singers at fifth annual Gala Concert.
The Bach Choir of Bethlehem will host its first-ever A Cappella competition – Bach appella in conjunction with the fifth annual Gala Concert, October 6, 2012 featuring The Swingle Singers.
The Choir is calling all high school and college a cappella groups to submit a video performance of a piece no longer than 4 minutes in any musical style. Bach appella’s focus is a cappella ensemble singing. Choreography will not be included in the judging process.
Entries must be uploaded to YouTube no later than 4 pm, September 20, 2012 and a DVD submitted to the Bach Office. Please include Bach Choir of Bethlehem Competition in the title of your entry and send the YouTube link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Judges for this competition are:
- Rita Cortez, Choral Director – Emmaus High School
- Greg Funfgeld, Artistic Director and Conductor, the Bach Choir of Bethlehem
- Joy Ondra Hirokawa, Founder and Artistic Director of the Bel Canto Children's Chorus and Visiting Professor of Music Education at Moravian College
- Jennifer Kelly, Director of Choral Activities and Assistant Professor of Music at Lafayette College
- Steven Sametz, The Ronald J. Ulrich Professor of Music and director of Lehigh University Choral Arts, and Artistic Director for the a cappella ensemble, The Princeton Singers
Each group will be scored for technical merit: blend, tone, intonation, rhythmic accuracy and feel, and difficulty of material, and artistic merit: originality and artistry of arrangement, composition, and performance.
The overall winner will perform during the Swingle Singers concert at the Zoellner Arts Center, Lehigh University. The runners-up (one high school and one college group) will start the evening with a performance of their winning pieces at 7:40 pm.