5 Things to Know Today
It's 80s night at SteelStacks; the IronPigs (weather permitting) make their playoff debut.
Good morning Bethlehem. Today is Wednesday, September 7, 2011. That’s 108 days until Christmas in the Christmas City.
- Are you getting the feeling that the sun may never come out again? There is more rain in the forecast today. Between a half and a full inch of rain is predicted today and tonight by the National Weather Service, which also has this region under a flood watch through at least this morning. Drive carefully.
- CareerLink of the Lehigh Valley, 1601 Union Boulevard, Allentown, is hosting a job fair for Person Directed Supports Inc. from 10 am. To 2 p.m. The nonprofit human services company is looking for compassionate direct care staff to assist adults with developmental disabilities to lead more independent lives.
- James Buchanan Elementary School hosts an open house for parents of new pupils at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium. There is also a PTA meeting at Governor Wolf Elementary, a PTO meeting at Thomas Jefferson Elementary and it’s College Application Night at Liberty High School.
- It’s 80s night at the ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks tonight for the weekly ladies night they call Stacks in the City. Tease the hair, break out the leg warmers and participate in a best-dressed contest. Then go see the one of the decade’s classic films, Pretty in Pink, on the Frank Banko Alehouse Cinema's full screen. That is a great movie starring Brat Packers Molly Ringwald, Andrew McCarthy and Jon Cryer. But it was an even better song. Who remembers who did it? The showing is part of the ArtsQuest Center’s John Hughes Tribute at the cinema this week. The fun starts at 6 p.m. Movie time is 7:30.
- Weather permitting, the Lehigh Valley IronPigs play their first-ever playoff game at 7:05 p.m. at Coca Cola Park, beginning a best of five series with the division rival Pawtucket Red Sox. Series winner moves on to the International League Championship. Dave Bush pitches for the Pigs; Matt Fox goes for the PawSox. Bring a gently used or unused item for Good Will and get a 20 percent coupon off of any regular or sale priced item at BonTon.