5 Things to Know Today
Happy Birthday, Norma Jeane!
Good morning, Bethlehem.
- Today is June 1, 2011, the 152nd day of the year. We are 206 days away from Christmas in the Christmas City. Norma Jeane Mortenson was born in Los Angeles on this day in 1926. In 1945, a young Mrs. Norma Jeane Dougherty was photographed for Yank Army Magazine at her job at a munitions plant spraying fire-retardant on airplane parts used during World War II. The photographer, David Conover, suggested that the striking young woman apply for a modeling job. She did. Within two years, she had a new name and a new job. By 1953, she had become one of the biggest movie stars in the world. Nearly 50 years after her death, Marilyn Monroe endures as a sex symbol and an American pop culture icon.
- Another hot and muggy day is in store, according to the National Weather Service. However, it should not be quite as oppressive as Tuesday as the air quality alert has been lifted. The forecast high is 89 degrees and there is a 50-percent chance of rain or thunderstorms, which may produce hail.
- Numerous road maintenance projects could produce delays as you make your way around during the day. There could be lane closures along southbound Route 33 between Belfast and Route 22, to enable road crack sealing. Pothole patching is planned along Route 412 between Silvex Road and Williams Street. Lane closures are again a possibility. There is also unspecified type of road maintenance planned along Route 378 from Center Street to Eighth Avenue, which again, could result in lane closures.
- Boutique at the Rink continues today at the Bethlehem Municipal Ice Rink on Illick’s Mill Road. Get clothing, shoes, accessories, household items and assorted other things – all new or gently used – for bargain prices. Proceeds benefit cancer patients and programs in the Lehigh Valley. The sale opens today at 10 a.m. and continues until 8 p.m. The sale runs through Saturday.
- You say your stressed out from your job, your kids, your spouse? Need a little does of relaxation in the middle of your day? Practice the Chinese martial art of Tai Chi at the Air Products Town Square at SteelStacks. Today will be the first day of weekly Wednesday sessions to be led by someone known as “The Gentle Spirit.” The half-hour session begins at 12:15 p.m.