Thinking of running for local office this year? Circulating a petition to get on the ballot begins this Tuesday, February 19. To many, running for local office can be a daunting task.
In order to assist candidates through this complex process, the League of Women Voters of Lehigh and Northampton Counties has created a Running for Local Office Handbook. It is designed to give someone thinking of running for local office, or working on a friend’s campaign, an understanding of how to qualify for local office and how to manage the campaign.
This “How To” handbook contains essential information designed specifically for candidates in local elections in Lehigh and Northampton Counties, including:
- Instructions for Circulating Nomination Petitions
- Local Elected Office Job Descriptions
- Important Election Dates to Remember
- Signature Requirements & Filing Fees
- Sample Financial Interests, Petition, Political Committee Registration, and Campaign Finance Statement forms
- Campaign Planning, Tactics, Organization, Finance, and Tips
- Working with the Media
The cost of the Running for Local Office Handbook is $35.00; it can be obtained by contacting Ann Bartholomew at (610) 967-3653 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Lehigh Valley offices up for election in 2013 are:
- County Offices
- Mayor, City / Borough
- City Council
- Borough Council
- Township Supervisor
- Township Commissioner
- School Director
- Magisterial District Judge
The League of Women Voters is a non-partisan, non-profit organization whose purpose is to promote political responsibility through active and informed participation of citizens in government.